- Brush your hair regularly before going to bed each night.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Use very little but enough to cover hair completely with lather. Use a conditioner to keep hair manageable.
- Avoid brushing wet hair. This will cause the hair to stretch and finally break. Finger-dry, or use a wide-toothed comb instead of a brush to gently remove the knots.
- Restrict blow-drying your hair. The process of blow-drying is harsh on hair as it robs off all the moisture.
- Avoid dyes. Use mehandi (henna) instead as a conditioner and colouring agent.
- Take a calcium supplement or drink two glasses of milk a day.
- Always hold hair dryer away from your hair. Direct air from the hair dryer down hair shaft and not directly into the roots and keep it moving.
- After a perm, never brush your hair. Instead comb hair gently.
- Trim your hair once in 7 weeks to avoid split ends.
- Avoid pulling back your hair tightly.
- Never use a rubber band on your hair as it can pull and damage hair considerably.
- Never go out in the sun without having your head covered.
- Stimulate circulation by massaging your head with oil to which some vitamin E has been added. This will make hair soft and silky.
- Never wash your hair with very hot or very cold water.
- Learn to relax. Hair loss can happen because of stress. Eat foods that are rich in vitamin B, C and E.
- Add iron and minerals in the natural form in your diet.
- If your hair is oily, cut down on fried food and fat. Drink plenty of water.